Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Down East!

Today was a perfect day to be "Down East", such a peaceful drive and beautiful place like no other!! I love driving Mrs. "Daisy", but today she picked me up, deciding it was time for me to take a "Down East" tour from a native.  When we left her hometown of Marshallerg, we went to Harkers Island! Hearing all about the Heritage was very entertaining!
My trip down east, with my husbands favorite "Down East" cook, made me think of this cookbook, compiled by the Harkers Island United Methodist Women.  We received Island Born and Bred as a wedding gift and I love it!
This cookbook has two of my husbands all time favorite recipe's prepared by Mrs. Rita of course, I will never try to compete with perfection!! John could live on her Down East light Rolls and Harkers Island Lemon Pie! 

 Island Born and Bred "A collection of Harkers Island Food, Fun, Fact and Fiction"   The exert below tells how you know you're a real islander!
BTW, "Mommicked" means frustrated, mentally and physically punished!
The book includes a dictionary of "Island Talk"! You might need it when you visit this lovely fishing village for reasons such as  "You're right ugly, you are" actually means VERY PRETTY!!


This book is full of great information and advice, such as a "Recipe for Living"!
There are eight churches on the island, the first one established in 1875.

Be sure to visit the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center.
You will not want to miss a bowl of chowder at the Fish Hook Grill! The chowder is "Carolina Style", made with conch not clams!




Enjoy your Day, Carolina Style!  Jen Jen
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting SSCS!
Enjoy your Day, Carolina Style!
Jen Jen