Monday, May 7, 2012

Baby Blue and the Derby Too!

Celebrating the things boys do and the Derby too made for a very festive May 5th!  The Run for the Roses was the perfect baby boy couples shower!  We did the best we could to bring Kentucky to the party, Carolina Style!  The next best thing to actually being at Churchill Downs!
With the Mint Juleps being the main event to a Derby party, I am starting this post with the Bar!  Stocked with both Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve the juleps were perfect! We even had "Mock" mint juleps for the "Mom to be" made with ginger ale!  
Many guests enjoyed a Mason Dixon, made with sweet tea vodka and lemonade instead of the traditional Derby Julep I love the most!
In the dining room the hand carved horse, silver rattles and baby cups full of white baby roses made the perfect center surrounding the Derby worthy menu!  Some ate dessert first with Kentucky Derby pecan pie bars, NC strawberries, caramel cake, pecan brownie bites and my Mother's Carolina Style mini pecan pie's!  My Mother's pies are much better than the Kentucky pie in my opinion!  She should package these creations made without Karo syrup!
Everyone seemed to enjoy the tenderloin sliders, NC shrimp, smoked salmon, my homemade pimento cheese and my mother's chicken salad rounded out the items on the main table!  I must say the Kentucky hot browns were voted the best new dish by me!  My husband ate four after a horseshoe battle with my Dad!  The hot browns did not even make it to the dining room! 
Everyone dressed the part in Derby attire! We awarded a prize for the most decorated hat!  My brothers wife is so creative, she made hats for the ladies in our family and the guest of honor!  John Short worked his magic with all the gorgeous roses!  They were worth running for! 
My hat was crazy but definitely a fun and festive time with a lifelong friend I love dearly!

Enjoy your Day, Carolina Style!
Jen Jen
Pin It!